Law Offices of Indu Srivastav, APLC
Experienced Family Law Attorney Serving Southern California
Call Today! 714-515-5008

Asking someone to be your child’s legal guardian

As you grow your family and begin to add children, it is important to think about who you might ask to serve a s legal guardian for your children if you and your spouse are no longer in the picture at some point in the future.

This is a very serious request to make, so it is important that you understand the implications of guardianship when you bring it up with the person you hope accepts the position.

In many cases, this person is member of your family or the family of your spouse, but not always. You may both agree on asking someone else outside of your families to serve as guardian, which is generally allowed.

Be sure that you are personally prepared to answer any questions he or she may have. This person should have all the financial and medical information that you feel is appropriate to share while ensuring that they fully understand their responsibilities and your plans to provide for your children after you are gone.

They should also have the opportunity to ask about any specific reasons you may need a guardian in the near future, such as a serious medical concern or an impending period of incarceration.

If you have any questions about the scope of guardianship or how to choose a candidate that truly meets the needs and priorities of your family, be sure to consult with an experienced family law attorney who understands your local family court system.

An attorney can work with you personally to assess your options and make sure that you properly prepare before naming someone you love as the guardian of your children.

Source: Parenting, "How to Choose a Guardian for Your Child," Melissa Balmain, accessed Jan. 04, 2018

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Law Offices of Indu Srivastav, APLC
1400 N. Harbor Blvd., Suite 601
Fullerton, CA 92835

Phone: 714-515-5008
Fax: 714-515-8338
Map & Directions