Law Offices of Indu Srivastav, APLC
Experienced Family Law Attorney Serving Southern California
Call Today! 714-515-5008

What should you do if you want to modify your divorce judgment?

After your divorce is resolved, there may be certain aspects of the divorce agreement that you eventually need to appeal to modify. For example, you may lose a job or receive a promotion, which means that you might have to ask for a modification of child support or spousal support.

To seek a change in custody or support, you'll have to file a motion for a post-decree modification. Normally, this will be filed with the same court where your divorce case was heard. Your attorney may be able to get this document for you, or you can check with the local state or county clerk.

What do you need if you want to modify a divorce judgment?

It would be a good idea to gather evidence to back your request.

For example, if you want to end support payments to your ex-spouse because they've remarried, photos and their marriage certificate would be good supporting evidence to help you seek that change.

Similarly, if you want to ask to reduced spousal or child support obligations, then you should show why your circumstances require a lower payment. You may show a final paycheck, that you've been terminated from your job or other evidence that shows that you can't afford to cover your responsibility.

If you believe that a modification is in your best interests, your attorney will talk to you more about what kinds are available and what you should include for the best chance of having a judge agree with the request. Our site has more on divorce agreement modifications and the steps to take next.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Law Offices of Indu Srivastav, APLC
1400 N. Harbor Blvd., Suite 601
Fullerton, CA 92835

Phone: 714-515-5008
Fax: 714-515-8338
Map & Directions