Law Offices of Indu Srivastav, APLC
Experienced Family Law Attorney Serving Southern California
Call Today! 714-515-5008

How should you approach a sudden divorce?

The shock of finding out that your spouse wants a divorce can be hard to handle. It can be equally stressful to be unsure of your future, especially if you were someone who did not work or who put your career aside for your spouse.

The good news for you is that California is a community property state. You and your spouse will share your marital assets 50-50 unless you have a prenuptial or postnuptial agreement. In that case, that agreement will take precedence in most situations.

If you're the lesser-earning spouse, can you seek spousal support?

Yes, and that's something you may want to consider if you're blindsided by a divorce. If your spouse earns more than you or has been the sole breadwinner in the household, you may want to seek alimony from them so that you can support yourself while you get back on your feet.

Spousal support is usually temporary, and it may be paid monthly or by other arrangements. Some people choose to accept a single, lump-sum payment, which can be helpful if you need a large amount of money up-front to move forward with your life.

Are you entitled to 50% of your assets in California?

You can seek up to 50% of your marital property. That doesn't include separate property, which could involve things like inheritances or property that was owned before the marriage.

Your family law attorney will talk to you more about what you should consider when dividing your assets and how to approach the divorce to get the outcome you're seeking.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Law Offices of Indu Srivastav, APLC
1400 N. Harbor Blvd., Suite 601
Fullerton, CA 92835

Phone: 714-515-5008
Fax: 714-515-8338
Map & Directions