Law Offices of Indu Srivastav, APLC
Experienced Family Law Attorney Serving Southern California
Call Today! 714-515-5008

How do you become a conservator?

You have a family member who can no longer care for themselves. You want to help, but you're not sure what you can do.

One thing you might want to consider is becoming a conservator. You'll take on a lot of responsibility if you do, but it's a good way to care for someone you love and to have the legal right to do so.

How do you become a conservator?

You must be appointed by a probate court judge. This judge assigns you to care for the finances or health of a person who is unable to care for themselves. This might be an adult child, a sibling or other party.

What do you do as a conservator?

As a conservator, you will need to care for your conservatee in whatever ways are appropriate. For example, if they can't shop for food or clean their home, you may need to assist with those activities or make sure there are people coming to help with those activities. If your conservatee has trouble remembering, you may be there to help pay bills or take care of financial matters.

What kinds of decisions can you make on the behalf of the conservatee?

You can make whatever kinds of decisions that you're authorized to make. When you are appointed to this position, a judge will talk to you about what you will or will not be legally responsible for.

If you're wanting to take on a family member as a conservatee, it's important to speak with your attorney about this role. It can be helpful to care for a loved one as a conservator, but you need to know what the process entails and what is expected of you.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Law Offices of Indu Srivastav, APLC
1400 N. Harbor Blvd., Suite 601
Fullerton, CA 92835

Phone: 714-515-5008
Fax: 714-515-8338
Map & Directions