Law Offices of Indu Srivastav, APLC
Experienced Family Law Attorney Serving Southern California
Call Today! 714-515-5008

How can your reduce or eliminate spousal support payments?

You and your spouse are getting a divorce, and one thing you do not want to have to pay is spousal support. You don't think it's fair to give them any money, especially since they did not work and were not at home supporting your household in any way. You have no children, and you feel like your spouse used you as a free ride.

Your story isn't unique. There are many people who feel that way. However, the judge may believe, especially if your spouse has no income, that you need to provide some form of support to them on a temporary basis.

That's why it's usually better to negotiate outside court. For example, in lieu of spousal support, your spouse might agree to take several pieces of furniture or allow you to take over a debt that they otherwise would have been liable for. Though you'll still give something up, you wouldn't be locked into making monthly payments to your spouse.

What happens if you need to pay support but don't want to pay monthly?

There are options other than paying monthly support if you are asked to pay by a judge or negotiate a settlement with your spouse. One option is to pay out the support as a lump sum. You could offer $10,000 up front, for example, instead of $1,000 a month for 10 months. You won't save money doing this, but you will be able to completely sever ties with your spouse following the divorce.

Another option is to make an annual payment. For instance, if you're asked to pay $12,000 annually, you may be able to pay that out at the beginning of the year for each year you're required to pay.

If you are in a position where you don't want to pay support or are looking for ways to reduce what you owe, your attorney will help you look into your options.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Law Offices of Indu Srivastav, APLC
1400 N. Harbor Blvd., Suite 601
Fullerton, CA 92835

Phone: 714-515-5008
Fax: 714-515-8338
Map & Directions